Day of the Dead

You know this year is zipping by that fast that Day of the Dead will be here before you know it - so I've started to create!

This week is all about flowers at Southern Girls Challenge, so I thought I would start with a small mask for Day of the Dead.  Normally I would use a paper mache mask, but the Halloween things haven't come out in stores here yet, so I used a small plastic mask.  I didn't like the shine on it at all, and it's extremely flimsy.  The bonus was I didn't have to paint it!

I used Sharpies to decorate the mask, adding details around the eyes in pink, and then outlining in black.  There's also a spider web under the flowers but it's a little hard to see.  I added some pink and mauve bling on the flowers and pearls on the mask.  The Sharpie worked surprisingly well, dried quickly and didn't rub or smudge, so I was really impressed with that.  I used my hot glue gun to attach the flowers, leaves and organza ribbon.

I snipped off some sparkly sticks from an arrangement I have, and tucked some black tulle in the top of the flowers.
Here is the full mask with flowing organza ribbons, sparkly spider and blinged up flowers :)
Thanks for coming to see my creation, I have included them in the following challenges:
Avenue 613 Create - Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion - Anything Goes
Our Creative Corner - Mexico Moods
We Love to Create - Anything Mixed Media
Hiding in my Craftroom - Any Holiday
Simply Create Too - Anything Goes

5 comments

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at HIMCR, good luck!!! Amy DT

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Beyond awesome chick! You took my breath away with this one. Love it! Hugs, Wends x

Neva Cole said...

Very awesome and brightly colored. The spider is the perfect touch for a Day of the Dead mask! Thanks for playing along with ABAC!

alethea said...

OMG, this is gorgeous... If only i had the creativity.. HUgsxx

alethea said...

Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion for our last challenge... Am finally catching up on commenting.. Hugsxx